Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Natural Songstress: Esperanza Spalding

I had never heard or seen her before this year's BET awards, when she paid tribute to Prince. She stood out immediately to me of course because her beautiful Afro. I remember saying to my father that night, "I can't wait for my hair to be just like that," pointing at the screen.
The 25 year old jazz performer from Portland, Oregon left high school at the age of 16, received her GED and attended Berklee College of Music. She had plenty experience as a teenager performing at live clubs and after her first semester at Berklee she was invited by  Patti Austin to perform on the Ella Fitzgerald  tribute tour, "For Ella" . Since then Spalding has recorded two albums Junjo (2006) and Esperanza (2008). In 2008 She performed at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony for Barack Obama.
I think I want her as a fac of CMECURLY! 
What do you think??  

No comments:

Post a Comment